An order issued Monday suggests the Roberts Court could jump back into the fight over contraception coverage next term.
The conservative court of appeals handed the Obama administration an important victory in its defense of the Affordable Care Act’s birth control benefit.
“The exclusion of methods used by men simply makes no sense and benefits no one—not men, not women, not families, not health plans,” Adam Sonfield, author of a new analysis for the Guttmacher Institute on “male” contraceptive methods, said in a statement.
The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals refused to reconsider an earlier decision that ruled the process for accommodating religious objections to the birth control benefit of the Affordable Care Act did not burden the group’s rights.
The decision released Tuesday is a strong endorsement of the Obama administration’s accommodation process for religiously affiliated nonprofits that object to providing contraception in health-care plans.
The Affordable Care Act is proving to be a great tool to help women obtain contraception. But there are more obstacles to contraception to be addressed, from religion-based shaming to simple transportation issues.
After the Colorado legislature rejected funds for a program that reduced teen pregnancies in Colorado by 40 percent over five years, the state’s chief medical officer said he’ll seek money for the program from private foundations.
The order from the Supreme Court Monday directs the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit to reconsider its decision that the birth control benefit accommodation process does not violate federal law.
In an order issued late on April 15, the justice stayed a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in Zubik v. Burwell.
So far, the Obama administration has been undefeated in defending the accommodation process to the birth control benefit in the Affordable Care Act. How long will that streak last?