Editor’s note: Read all of RH Reality Check’s coverage of this racist anti-choice campaign.
When I think of Wisconsin, I know I always think of three thing: cheese, the Packers, and the genocide of black babies. Which is why it makes perfect sense that Milwaukee, Wisconsin is the next frontier for Radiance Foundation’s African American anti-abortion billboard campaign. Because if any city in the country more closely resembles Atlanta geographically, it’s Milwaukee.
A pro-life group in Wisconsin and an organization run by a black pro-life advocate have teamed up for the latest in what has become a national campaign to focus on how abortion targets black children.
The Radiance Foundation, along with Pro-Life Wisconsin, is launching the TooManyAborted.com campaign in Wisconsin featuring 13 billboards going up in Milwaukee with two different messages.
On the heels of massive national and international media coverage of the “Endangered Species” campaign, featuring billboards throughout Atlanta, Georgia and the rest of the state, the new billboards present residents of Wisconsin’s largest city with the message “Black Children Are In Danger” and “Black & Beautiful.”
The sponsors hope to reveal ”the loss of hope and possibility that abortion brings,” Radiance director Ryan Bomberger told LifeNews.com this morning.
But both Radiance and their local partner for the campaign, Pro-Life Wisconsin, are actually using the partnership as another attempt to attack their favorite nemesis, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin.
“This campaign is our response to Planned Parenthood — whose 75 years of existence in Wisconsin continues to embrace the racist and eugenic idea that certain human life can be destroyed. And they do it for profit,” he said. “Wisconsin is the birthplace of the Republican Party, founded solely to abolish the inhumanity and destruction of slavery. We hope that something will stir Wisconsinites to see, regardless of political party, that liberation and justice are part of their historical DNA.”
Bomberger says Planned Parenthood’s latest Annual Report shows the abortion business aborted 324,008 unborn children in 2008 yet only made 2,405 adoption referrals — 135 abortions for every 1 adoption referral.
“Planned Parenthood profits, immensely, from deliberate deception—that ‘unplanned’ means ‘unwanted and unloved’ and therefore should be destroyed. This campaign coincides with a holiday season in which most Americans celebrate the ultimate unplanned pregnancy, a courageous teenage mother, and a compassionate father who chose adoption instead of abandonment,” Bomberger explained.
Pro-Life Wisconsin goes even further, stating that Planned Parenthood is the cause of both unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections in the state. Via Cap Times:
In the press release, [Virginia] Zignego, [communications director of Pro-Life Wisconsin] charges Planned Parenthood with “the brutal killing of innocent unborn children” and a “massive failure” to reverse the African-American community’s high rates of unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.
Last year, after a fiery public debate, state legislators passed a law requiring schools to provide more comprehensive sexual education in schools. Now that the Republicans have wrested control of all branches of state government away from Democrats, could the billboards be some of the first signs of a stepped-up campaign to dismantle not just abortion rights but sex education?
There’s a lot of irony in Pro-Life Wisconsin calling out Planned Parenthood for “failing” to reverse the African American community’s rate of STIs and unwanted pregnancies. The two largest initiatives pushed in the state in the last few years were comprehensive sex ed in classrooms, and free or low cost birth control for low income women, both of which have been adamantly opposed by the anti-choice action group.
November 30, 2010
- Abortion legalization to be the core of Lower House Committee debate – Buenos Aires Herald
- Texas Children’s Fetal Center Launches Unique Program for Moms Expecting Multiples – Sacramento Bee
- Philippinos back contraception bill – Independent Online
- Sarah Palin Is No Friend of Women in Politics – U.S. News & World Report (blog)
- DOH: Measures in place to monitor donated blood tainted with HIV – Inquirer.net
- Philippines town spreading family planning to poor through parental learning … – Seer Press
- Ex-official urges probe of China ’90s HIV epidemic – The Associated Press
- Armed Robers Attack Family Planning Boss…Set Home Ablaze – The Inquirer
- Catholic Church losing influence over flock on RH? – ABS CBN News
- State’s attorneys support parental notice – OneNewsNow
- CRR pushing for easier access to Plan B – OneNewsNow
- Canadians launch birth control lawsuit – The Gateway Online
- NYC Tests Brakes on Crisis Pregnancy Centers – WomensRadio
- Book on women’s reproductive health unveiled – The Citizen Daily
- The Catholic Church Should Openly Support Condom Use and Contraception – Accra Daily Mail (blog)
- Majority of Filipinos back RH bill—PulseAsia – Inquirer.net
- Pulse Asia survey: 69% of Filipinos agree with RH bill – GMANews.TV (blog)
- Letter: Planned Parenthood’s hypocrisy – Memphis Commercial Appeal
- Women’s progress slow in state Legislature – Lincoln Journal Star
- Survey: Sex ed is stumbling block for anti-RH Pinoys – ABS CBN News
- World AIDS Day Marked Wednesday – Wheeling Intelligencer
- HP and Clinton Health Access Initiative Partner to Accelerate Early Infant … – MarketWatch (press release)
November 29, 2010
- Late-preterm babies risk problems later – UPI.com
- Women with HIV face greater risks – Jakarta Post
- AIDS charity sues Bristol Myers, saying it overcharged for medication [Updated] – Los Angeles Times
- World AIDS Day marked on Wednesday – NRToday.com
- Viewers’ Guide to Prop 8 argument December 6 – Keen News Service
- Program Closes, Teen Moms Concerned – KFDA
- Catholics Talk About Sex – Religion Dispatches
- Flush with $100 million in cash, pro-abort Human Rights Watch sets sights on … – Lifesite
- Gender bias evident in Aids spread – Irish Times
- US Catholic bishops and abortion: a critique from within the Church – Spero News
- Hate crimes increasingly target transgender persons – Today’s Zaman
- Ancient Faith meets Modern Life – Patheos
- Officials block plans to build abortion clinic in Colombian city – Catholic News Agency
- Study: Does the Pill Lower Sex Drive? – TIME
- ‘We’re winning,’ Land tells pregnancy center leaders – BP News
- The Catholic Church Should Openly Support Condom Use and Contraception – Modern Ghana
- Pope Benedict Thanks Pro-Life Movement at Worldwide Prayer Vigil – LifeNews.com
- 110000 children living with HIV – New Vision
- Boehner Staff Met With Right-Wing Activist Who Demands GOP End Abortion Or Be … – Think Progress
- Abortion debate turns to men – Bangkok Post
- Family Group Blasts Holiday Gift Certificates for Abortion – Christian Post
- The American Idol-ization of Abortion – RedState
- No Child Left to Die – ChristianityToday.com
- Separate and Unequal – Center For American Progress
- Merck Halts Study of Once-Daily HIV Drug – Wall Street Journal
- Parents Should Rule On Condoms In Schools, Committee Says – KOAT Albuquerque
- Vital Signs: Anti-abortion group places “Black babies are in danger … – Madison.com
- Not quite. – Inquirer.net
- Chlamydia Screening Remains Important for Doctors to Note – Doctors Lounge
- A quarter of HIV victims don’t know they’re infected – Marie Claire.co.uk
- Engaging men, boys in eliminating violence against women – NewsDay
- Women Veterans Bill of Rights Bill Presents Abortion Concerns – LifeNews.com
- The Kindest Cut: The Growing Popularity of Vasectomies – Loudoun Independent
- Indonesian HIV Mothers-to-Be Lack Medication, Activist Says – Jakarta Globe
- Analysis: Kansas GOP’s sweep sets stage for discord – Kansas City Star
- The war on Christmas heats up – Salon
- Fla. AIDS program struggling due to unemployment – MiamiHerald.com
- Pembroke Sentinel: Safe and Legal, option for abortion is a woman’s choice – my.hsj.org
- New Discovery May Offer Cure for Human Papillomavirus (HPV) – PR Newswire (press release)
- Pope ‘commends’ Philippines’ church – ABS CBN News
- AIDS in America–And A Kiss Goodbye (VIDEO) – Huffington Post (blog)
- Return of the Culture Wars: Tea Party’s Social and Religious Agenda and How … – Center For American Progress
- ‘Incomprehensible’ that AIDS resources are flatlining: Stephen Lewis – Globe and Mail
- Abortion clinic still possible – Omaha World-Herald
- Controversial IVF inventor awarded Nobel Prize in Spite of Embryo Killing – Catholic Online
- Police officer releases HIV status of suspect to ex-girlfriend – Michigan Messenger
- ‘Birth or Not’ couple asks website voters: should we abort? – The Star-Ledger – NJ.com (blog)
- Engel bill would protect pregnant women, newborns – Mid-Hudson News