It seems impossible, but Amendment 62, Colorado’s attempt to establish “personhood” on fertilized eggs, is getting even more rhetorically crazy as we head into the final week of election.
In a moment that surprised even me, the No on 62 advocates put forth an argument that may have gone one step too far, saying that the resulting bans could force a woman with ovarian cancer to have to seek treatment illegally. Via the Durango Herald:
Imagine this scenario. Anne, a young mother of three small children, recently noted low abdominal discomfort and bloating. She is horrified to learn that she may have ovarian cancer – but even more horrified to learn that the necessary surgery cannot be performed in Colorado.
If Amendment 62 passes, it would make removing a diseased ovary illegal. Worse, a doctor who performs such a lifesaving surgery would be punished for murder.
Here is what the proposed Amendment 62 says: “Person defined. As used in sections 3, 6, and 25 of Article II of the state constitution, the term ‘person’ shall apply to every human being from the beginning of the biological development of that human being.”
Anyone who graduated from an eighth-grade health class knows that the start of the biological development is the human egg, and girls are born with all the eggs that their ovaries will ever contain. So removing an ovary – even if diseased – would mean the removal of thousands of “persons.”
A woman whose doctorate is in biochemistry and is loosely associated with Georgetown University wrote this wording. An ethicist against abortion, what she has framed is so poorly defined that the above scenario is possible. A lawyer – or even a physician – could have done better!
I’m fairly certain that Amendment 62 does not apply to all eggs, just fertilized ones. The wording is loose and ridiculous enough as it is — no one should feel the need to go an extra step into possible fabrications.
Especially not when the propaganda from the “vote yes” side is this utterly heavy-handed. Such as the idea that making fertilized eggs people is the greatest of social justice. From NewsBusters:
Want to go past heavy-handed to downright nutty with a flair for the dramatic? How about this piece by actor Michael Moriarty being run in Enter Stage Right:
My regular readers know me well enough to comprehend my seriousness about the curse that the Supreme Court loaded on the back of America in 1973, with its Roe v Wade decision legalizing abortion. Little did I know – historically challenged little me – that America’s legalized abortion actually began in Colorado in 1967. Yup, the practice of murdering your own children with impunity began not 37 years ago, but 43.
That is half the length of time America took to finally end slavery.
Yup, Hollywood’s Little Getaway Spot, with the ski trails of Aspen and the seven figure vacation homes, revolutionized America’s very soul.Colorado did more to destroy America’s “inalienable right to life” than even Dr. Evil and his Mini-Me have accomplished so far.
No wonder the Evil One and his Mini-me’s merely want a Statist Capitalism to run their Marxist, New World Order with. The most successful Capitalist in the world is Glenn Beck’s favorite Creepy Dude, George Soros.
The Evil One or Creepy Dude and Friends are having a tough time these days. Between Glenn Beck and the firing of Juan Williams from NPR, the face of George Soros is all over Fox News.
The New Mao, as I now call Mr. Soros, was better off hidden in the shadows of his Long March toward a Sorosian New World Order. His Mini-Me, Barack Obama, still owns the White House for another two years at least, so we’re actually in the Maoist-style Cultural Revolution years of the Obama Nation.
The cornerstone, the seminal and central building block of this nightmare?
It was Colorado’s grand achievement as the first state with legalized abortion.
Without Murder Inc. or Planned Parenthood, Dr. Evil and his Mini-Me would, at best, be applying for jobs at or ownership of Columbia University, the place they like to either lecture at or claim they graduated from.
I applaud Fox News for turning George Soros into the most talked-about, Indelible Bad Guy of this entire Presidency, rivaling those other great candidates for the prize: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran and Hugo Chavez of Argentina.
However, no matter how persistent Fox and Friends are to put the same “Wanted” sign on the back of Soros that Soros has tried to brand Glenn Beck with, Dr. Evil and his Major Mini-Me will triumph with their Cultural Revolution if Colorado’s second effort to overturn legalized abortion this year fails.
On election day, Tea Party Coloradans, be sure to vote yes for Amendment 62!
If Colorado again falls asleep on this effort to clean its own house, I’m not so sure that Dr. Evil, his Mini-Me and the neo-Maoist Cultural Revolution won’t be entrenched in the White House with national emergencies necessitating martial law in America.
Mini Roundup: Here’s an interesting parental notification twist – a judge in Ohio allows two teens to get married without parental permission, because the girl was concerned she would be forced to abort her baby otherwise. The furious mother says abortion was never on the table. A good summary from both sides is here.
October 25, 2010
- Global Contraceptives Market is Projected to Reach US$17.2 Billion by 2015 … – San Francisco Chronicle
- Cedarburg schools should opt out of ignorant new practice – UW Badger Herald
- Landlord of abortion doctor: Glad it’s over – Cecil Whig
- Exercise our judicial options: Alaskans should reject Justice Fabe – Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
- Documentary hints at forces behind murder of abortion doctor – Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Chinese Woman Given Forced Abortion at Eight Months Pregnancy – The Epoch Times
October 24, 2010
- Pro-choice activist spoiling for a fight – Washington Times
- Tea Party candidate’s anti-abortion ads banned from YouTube, not TV – The Hill (blog)
- America’s last chance: Amendment 62 – Enter Stage Right
- Abortion a major issue in Brazilian campaign – Irish Times
- Paladino's views on abortion unfair – Press & Sun-Bulletin
- Don’t mention the ‘A’ word – Sydney Morning Herald (blog)
- Abortion, not economy, defines Alaska’s 3-way Senate race – MiamiHerald.com
- Is there an abortion-provider murder conspiracy in the US? – AMERICAblog (blog)
- • Back-door abortions could be increasing the death toll – Sunday Standard
- Boxer says abortion views won’t hurt her with socially conservative Latinos – The Hill (blog)
- Family planning: Uttar Pradesh leaves behind other states – Times of India
- Catholic bloggers aim to purge dissenters – Washington Post
- China’s one-child policy is slowly being eased – The Guardian
- Put abortion debate in its proper context – Philadelphia Inquirer
- Birth Control Access Will Lower Abortion Rate – Hartford Courant
- Abortion issue divides Alaska’s candidates for US Senate – Anchorage Daily News
- Not voting ‘no’ on Amendment 62 is irresponsible – The Durango Herald
October 23, 2010
- After 16 years in Congress, Brownback is ready for home – Kansas City Star
- Chinese Husband Forces 8 Months Pregnant Wife To Abort – Health Related Infos
- Violence vs women a global phenomenon—UN report – Inquirer.net
- A woman’s choice – Herald Sun
- One-Third of US Adults Could Have Diabetes by 2050: CDC – BusinessWeek
- Ohioan pleads not guilty in gunpoint abortion case – TMCnet
- Ohio mom angry judge let her daughter, 17, marry – Washington Post
- Bus adverts to raise awareness of abortion rate – ChristianToday
- Judge in central Ohio allows teens to marry without parental consent – Fox 59
- Federal law takes on crimes against Indian women – Native Times
- Things You Should Know to Protect Yourself – Tangerine
- One-Third of U.S. Adults Could Have Diabetes by 2050: CDC – BusinessWeek
- Protests greet abortion conference in Spain – Inquirer.net
- NOH8 Campaign Raises Thousands For AIDS Walk Los Angeles – On Top Magazine
- Toddler may face death sentence after she’s accidentally pricked with dirty … – Daily Mail
- Survivors of sexual abuse ‘take back the night’ in Toronto – Examiner.com
- Some Africans, poor no more, hit by new diseases – The Associated Press
- Bay area hospitals make room for babies born just a little bit too early – Tampabay.com
- Africa is the Church of the Future, Say Lausanne Officers – Christian Post
- CDC Report: Birthrate lowest in nation for NH teens – The Union Leader
- “The entire abortion industry is based on a lie” – Follow the money – ministryValues.com
- Catholic Schools Sticks to Prohibit Cancer Vaccine – TopNews United Kingdom
- WHO Pushes Intensified Women, Child Healthcare – Manila Bulletin
- Underage couple win permission to marry – Columbus Dispatch
- The number of women coming forward for potentially life-saving cervical … – Leicester Mercury
- Dems link McMahon to degradation of women – TheDay.com
- East Africa Executives to undergo voluntary HIV testing – allvoices
- ‘Gender Gap Index’ Not Reflective of True State of Filipino Women – Gabriela – Bulatlat (blog)
- Abortion clinic hep C infections jump to 41 – ABC Online
- ‘The Catholic Church in the Obama Era’ – RenewAmerica
- Bihar: Socialists in Congress clothing – India Today
- Patient incurs HIV from transfusion – Daily Camera
- China’s One-Child Policy Forces Woman to Have Abortion at 8 Months – Care2.com (blog)
- Martin Luther King’s niece speaks at Lincoln pro-life event – Lincoln Journal Star
- Mother angry judge emancipated underage daughter so she could marry – Columbus Dispatch
- Human Vulnerability—Human Rights – Chicago Public Radio
- Jobs carry debate as Oberstar-Cravaack rematch stays civil – Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Health reform a boon to breast cancer patients, experts say – Florida Times-Union
- There Is No Catholic Vote – The Weekly Standard
October 22, 2010
- King’s niece to address anti-abortion conference – Omaha World-Herald
- LA clinic says actors have tested negative for HIV – San Jose Mercury News
- MSNBC documentary hints at larger forces behind Tiller murder – Kansas City Star
- Chinese delegation visits Queen Rania Family and Child Centre – Ammon News
- Thai sex workers urged to protect themselves against HIV – ABC Online
- Family planning via tribal theatre – Times of India
- Free breast and cervical cancer testing – KIDK
- The man doctor – Malaysia Star
- Pathologist and a founder of the Irish Family Planning Association – Irish Times
- Ardmore teen pregnancy/AIDS prevention group recognized – KXII-TV
- Arkansas finds itself in the top 5 of teen pregnancies – KAIT
- Abortion clinic raided after hep C infections – ABC Online
- Walker Strikes Back Against Barrett’s Abortion Ad – WGBA-TV
- Montana GOP takes on health reform – KXLH Helena News
- US South forced to address high teen birth rates – HULIQ
- If you don’t like socialized medicine, give up your Medicare – Atlanta Journal Constitution (blog)
- Push for family planning with door-to-door contraceptives – Hindustan Times
- IDSA: Cancer Gene Plays Key Role in HIV Infection – MedPage Today
- Questions raised in Ohio gunpoint abortion case – WTVM
- Youth parliament: Let’s talk about sex – Swindon Advertiser
- Ken Buck Hit Hard On Birth Control, Abortion In New DSCC Ad – Huffington Post
- Study seeks to extend HIV testing to prison inmates – Private MD
- Self-examination – key to the fight against breast cancer – GhanaWeb
- Candidate’s Graphic Anti-Abortion Ad Banned on YouTube, But Not TV – FOX 4 News
- State warns Cedarburg aobut sex ed option – Chicago Tribune
- Report Finds HIV Positive Porn Actor Hasn’t Infected Others in XXX Industry – Yet – Gather.com
- Toddler’s HIV scare – New York Post
- No middle of the road on teen pregnancy – SunHerald.com
- ‘Blame politicians for lack of doctors in rural areas’ – Myjoyonline.com
- Eight-months-pregnant woman ‘forced’ into abortion – Metro
- Questions raised in Ohio gunpoint abortion case – Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Questions raised in Ohio gunpoint abortion case – Washington Post
- Bowman/Pyle Look for Votes in the 60th District – The Kittanning Paper
- Forced and macabre abortion in China, 8 months into pregnancy – DigitalJournal.com
- UK cervical cancer testing numbers drop – International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Ad creates spat between lieutenant governor candidates Phil Scott and Steve Howard – BurlingtonFreePress.com