Targeting the Vulnerable: Crisis Pregnancy Centers Deceive

Imagine you are a woman facing an unwanted pregnancy. After careful consideration, you decide to obtain an abortion and schedule an appointment at a clinic listed under "abortion services" in your local phone book. When you arrive for your appointment you are forced to listen to a religious lecture, given misinformation about the risks of abortion, and refused referrals to actual abortion providers. Imagine your surprise when you realize you are not at a legitimate reproductive health care clinic, but rather have been fooled into visiting a Crisis Pregnancy Center. This sounds like an April Fool's Day prank, but this scenario happens to real women seeking reproductive health care every day and it's no laughing matter.

Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) have a long history of intentionally misleading women to prevent them from accessing abortion care. The first CPCs were established in the 1960s after state legislatures repealed their laws criminalizing abortion. Today there are as many as 4,000 CPCs in the United States, compared to the less than 2,000 facilities that actually provide abortion care for women.

Many CPCs use deceptive advertising practices to fool women into thinking that they are legitimate medical clinics that provide a variety of reproductive health care services, including family planning and abortion care. In reality, most CPCs do not provide full options counseling and generally will not refer for abortion care or birth control.

These fake clinics use deceptive advertising practices such as intentionally placing advertisements under the "abortion services" heading of phone and Internet directories and choosing names that are similar to abortion clinics to confuse women about what types of services they provide. Many CPCs are connected with religious organizations, but few disclose that fact in their advertising. Additionally, CPCs often locate themselves in close proximity to legitimate reproductive health care facilities. We have heard from many patients who mistakenly visited a CPC because it was on the same street-or even next door-to the actual abortion provider where they had an appointment.

CPCs target young and low-income women. They lease buildings near colleges and universities, advertise in school newspapers, and lure women into their facilities with the offer of a free pregnancy test and options counseling.

Once they get women inside their doors, CPCs often force women to watch graphic, misleading videos; pressure women with religious sermons; and provide medically inaccurate information about a false link between abortion and an increased risk of breast cancer, the effects of abortion on future fertility, and the mental health effects of abortion. Some CPCs further mislead women by giving them false pregnancy test results so that they will postpone obtaining abortion care. Others have been known to give women ultrasounds depicting gestational ages more advanced than their actual pregnancies in order to make them think that they are too far along to access abortion services. In some cases CPCs even promise to provide financial assistance to women if they carry their pregnancies to term, but this assistance usually doesn't last once a woman's pregnancy has advanced past the legal termination limit in her state. Even after women leave CPCs, they sometimes continue to be mistreated. In a clear violation of patient confidentiality, many CPCs call women and harass them about their decision to obtain abortion care for weeks after they visit the center.

Many CPCs even receive federal funding. Under the Bush Administration, CPCs have received more than $30 million in federal funding, and legislators frequently attempt to fund CPCs at the state level through state-sponsored programs, specific grants, or tax credits. In 2006, Representative Henry Waxman (D-CA) released a study, which found that 87% of the federally funded CPCs provided inaccurate and misleading information including the false link between abortion and breast cancer, the effects of abortion on future fertility, and the mental health effects of abortion. It is reprehensible that federal taxpayer dollars are being used to support fake clinics that deliberately deceive women with false medical information.

CPCs should not be allowed to threaten women's health through deception and mistreatment. Last year NAF worked with Representative Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) who introduced the "Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act" in the U.S. House of Representatives. Specifically, this legislation authorizes the Federal Trade Commission to regulate the deceptive advertising practices of CPCs, which regularly advertise that they provide abortion care when they in fact do not provide such care. We congratulate Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) for taking the lead in the Senate to introduce companion legislation today on April Fool's Day-to prevent women from being further fooled and harmed by these fake clinics.

Today is a day of action, and we are calling on activists to contact their Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the "Stop Deceptive Advertising for Women's Services Act." Members of Congress need to understand how women are harmed by fake clinics masquerading as reproductive health care facilities. To learn more about ways you can take action against CPCs and to find contact information for your elected officials, visit our website www.prochoice.org.

Women facing an unplanned pregnancy deserve accurate and complete information. For unbiased information about pregnancy options, referrals to providers of quality abortion care, and funding assistance, contact the toll-free NAF Hotline at 1-800-772-9100.

Like this story? Your $10 tax-deductible contribution helps support our research, reporting, and analysis.

To schedule an interview with Vicki Saporta please contact Communications Director Rachel Perrone at rachel@rhrealitycheck.org.

• invalid-0

Dig further. Be more explicit about just what misinformation is being told, and which CPCs are doing it. Not just “a CPC in XX City”, but name the city,name the city. If possible, name the “counselor(s)”. Expose them,lay them bare to public scrutiny. It’s time to bring them up on radar.

• invalid-0

Trying to save the lives of children – what awful people they are! Women are not braindead fools – they can decide for themselves what information to believe or not believe.

If one of these centres convinces them to have a baby – that is a success that should be celebrated. You seem to only agree with one choice – abortion, not the other choice involved in a pro-choice position.

I invite everyone to visit this website:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/inthewomboriginal/

• http://www.abortion.org.au invalid-0

I do not have a problem with women freely choosing to continue the pregnancy and have the baby. This is what being pro choice is all about: the woman making the decision whether or not to become a mother.

What I do object to, is the scare tactics and misinformation that CPCs use to coerce women not to have an abortion. Their number one goal is to dissuade women from abortion regardless of the impact on the woman’s wellbeing.

Abortion is not the only issue though, pro lifers are also opposed to contraception, sex education, non procreative sex and even childcare.
      http://www.abortion.org.au/truemotives.htm

This isn’t about saving babies, it is about keeping women barefoot and pregnant.

• invalid-0

I’m with Penelope. I see nothing wrong with letting these women in crisis pregnancy situations know that abortion isn’t their only option. Some of these girls are just looking for someone to stand with them and hold their hand through the ordeal.

I once found myself in a crisis pregnancy situation and the CPC in my hometown really helped me through what would’ve otherwise been a really difficult time in my life. I praise God for them every day!

Also, they typically offer abortion counselling to those who’ve had an abortion and are struggling with the after-affects of it, so it is not deceptive for a CPC to list itself under “ABORTION SERVICES” in a directory.

I also know of a young woman who thought she might be pregnant and wanted to find out, so she went to an abortion clinic that offered free pregnancy screening. The abortion clinic told her she was pregnant and wanted to perform an abortion right then and there. She wanted time to think about it, and went for a 2nd opinion with the local CPC where she learned that she wasn’t even pregnant. The abortion clinic only told her that so they could give her an abortion she didn’t need and they’d get her money! I have to wonder how many completely vulnerable girls are getting needless abortions every day because of the greed of abortion clinics.

KUDOS to the CPCs of the world! Keep saving our babies, one little innocent life at a time!

• mellankelly1

Also, they typically offer abortion counselling to those who’ve had an abortion and are struggling with the after-affects of it, so it is not deceptive for a CPC to list itself under "ABORTION SERVICES" in a directory

If the goal was to counsel women, perhaps they would be better off listing themselves under "COUNSELING SERVICES".  But see, counseling women is most certainly not their goal; preventing a woman who may be facing an unwanted pregnancy from obtaining an abortion is the one and only goal of these CPC’s.  And to accomplish this goal, they will use any means necessary… including (but certainly not limited to) misleading women about abortion.  It would be more appropriate to list themselves under "ABORTION ALTERNATIVES" - in that case, at least they would be reaching women who are interested in options that do not include abortion.

The abortion clinic told her she was pregnant and wanted to perform an abortion right then and there. She wanted time to think about it, and went for a 2nd opinion with the local CPC where she learned that she wasn’t even pregnant. The abortion clinic only told her that so they could give her an abortion she didn’t need and they’d get her money!

In all honesty, that is simply ridiculous and untrue.   But then again, without misinformation, pseudoscience and outright lies, the anti-abortion folk would have nothing at all.

• http://profoundsarcasm.blogspot.com invalid-0

There’s one of these centers right next door to a Planned Parenthood in the Bronx, NY. It’s really sick the tactics these places use to try and scare already vulnerable women out of making their own decisions. It isn’t about abortion or not, it’s about trying to force out women’s agency over their bodies. They use lies and scare tactics to manipulate women.

Penelope, this isn’t about whether or not the woman chooses to abort or not. It’s about the fact that these places lie to them and manipulate them with religious propaganda and false information. It’s about allowing women to make their own decisions, propelled by CORRECT information and freedom of choice.

http://www.fwhc.org/abortion/fake.htm

• invalid-0

You people are amazing! You talk about deception! You call disgusting the people who just want women to know the truth about abortion, the truth about how the baby is a human being with a beating heart and rights, the truth about the impact of what they are doing! But yet murder is not disgusting? What do you call it when someone murders a newborn baby? Rips its limbs off, cuts it in pieces, poisons it, suffocates it? Is that disgusting to you? Is it only in the confines of the womb that such things are acceptable, appealing, and pleasant (aren’t those adjectives the opposites of disgusting?)? I bet that you are one of those who are against parents spanking their children, also. Yeah, because that is “child abuse.” But hey, if you kill them before they are born you are good to go! Why should any of us care when people are murdered as adults, or better yet as children? This country should change the laws and make ALL murder legal, since this country definitely is never going to make ALL murder illegal! Why have a double standard?

“God bless America”? I don’t think so! He will not bless a land where the shedding of INNOCENT blood is acceptable and defended!!! It doesn’t matter what you think, what you are going to argue in reaction to what I have said. Where will you be 100 years from now? When you die (and everybody does) it will be just you and God when you stand before Him, and you will then know the truth, but it will be too late! There is still time now. I pray you will find the TRUTH. It is found in the Lord Jesus Christ who is the only one who can cleanse all sins away and forgive even the abomination of murdering innocent babies!

• invalid-0

Wow, what hypocrosey. What about Planned Parenthood’s lie and scare tactics?

They are more than willing to bring up how abortion clinics have been bombed and abortion doctors been killed in the past, yet they would NEVER tell you that there are plenty of abortion doctors who have killed, raped, and mutilated their patients (see: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58037 )

Planned Parenthood has been caught over and over again being racist and breaking the law (aka not reporting the sexual abuse of young girls).

Racism: Watch: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eygv8qEkiFE

Michell Malkin & Planned Parenthood: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DTHOgoGBUkw&feature=related

O’Reilly Factor & Lila Rose: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JP5fNsPKnpE&feature=related

• invalid-0

What right wing, brainless, propaganda bull crap! Thankfully, CRC’s will be out of business really soon, and shoould be against the LAW. Your slanderous, lying defamation of PLanned Parenthood would be laughable, if there weren’t more idiots just like you out there. Leave young women alone, they have a human inalienable right to control of their own bodies, and to be truly informed and able to access any service to terminate or to keep from getting pregnant. Get a LIFE- your own!

• invalid-0

>blockquote>Trying to save the lives of children – what awful people they are!

And lying to women who are already emotionally vulnerable makes their tactics OK?
    I know you mean well,but you are wrong about the writer “agreeing” only with abortion. I want women to have all the options,but with news they can use-not debunked propaganda.

• invalid-0

to back up those accusations? I mean,other than hatchet jobs by right-wing pundits and WingNutDaily? I have to admit the accusation about abortion providers is a new one on me.

• invalid-0

Yes, it is true that some Planned Parenthood workers have been caught doing some of the things that you mentioned. However – The point is that these people are being prosecuted (just because the bus boy at a Denny’s fights a customer doesn’t put the whole chain out of buisness). These CPCs are lying and manipulating these women AS POLICY! They are not being reprimanded for telling a woman that her “uterus will rupture if [she] has an abortion” even when it is a blatant lie told only to make her feel like she only has one choice. I am all for telling women the truth and having them make up their own minds, whether that’s having a baby, having an abortion, or putting the child up for adoption. But what is important to me is that she makes the right decision for her. Having a child AND putting one up for adoption has the same if not more psychological effects as having an abortion. All of the options should be on the table so the woman makes the best decision for her life. When anti-choice people single out possible side effects of an abortion like “regret” and “infection” it makes me laugh. Of course there are possible side effects!! But we dont take birth control off the market because you can get blood clots, or sleep aids because they can give you a low heart beat, or alcohol because you might have a one night stand. These things are all available to us because they are helpful (or fun – alcohol) for the majority of us, and yes it is true they harm a few of us. Everything is that way though. The only reason people focus on abortion is because it’s availability, along with contraception, allows us all to have more free sex lives. And god forbid we all relax a little….

• invalid-0

i’ve heard plenty of stories about gynecologists and obstetricians raping and abusing their patients too (as well as general practioners, dentists, plastic surgeons, you name it). should people not go to them either?

doctors have spend a lot of time alone with their patients, in very intimate settings. privacy is a huge deal when it comes to patient/doctor relationships. and some people abuse that power. most doctors are good people who just want to help their patients (yes, even abortion doctors). just because there’s a few bad apples doesn’t mean the whole profession is corrupt.

• invalid-0

It amazes me that you say that women should be able to make decisions for themselves but yet you don’t believe they should be provided with the correct and proper information to make those decisions. As long as an unwanted pregnancy is carried to term, you’re happy. Never mind how that affects the human woman that didn’t want the pregnancy or resulting child. Never mind how it affects the resulting unwanted child (and don’t give me the “but lots of people want to adopt” line…if that were true, our foster care/orphanage systems wouldn’t be overflowing of children in need of loving homes).

If you are so worried about abortion, then start doing whatever you can to help make real comprehensive sexual education and free/affordable birth control available to everyone – especially our young people. That is the only provable way to lower the abortion rates. Unless, of course, your only real concern is controlling women’s bodies and reproductive choices.

And, you don’t need to link to videos of fetal development. Most of us know and understand the process thoroughly; it is part of the reason why we are pro-choice and truly pro-life.

• invalid-0

It is hard for me to understand how one can say that they were lied to about the services at a crisis pregnancy center. I had an abortion and was not allowed to see the sonagram of the child growing inside me at a family planning (or lack of planning) center. They knew that if I saw it I would not go through with it. To me that was the ultimare lie. They tried to make it seem that it was not a life and would not let me see the movement and the heartbeat. All of the prochoice and proabortion people need to realize that this is a billion dollar industry that also involves selling the aborted fetuses. If Crisis Pregnancy centers have been misleading it is to save a life and not to end one. By offering alternatives to an abortion they are offering hope. Girls that are in this vulnerable state don’t know that there is a way out that does not involve living a guilt filled life of remembering every anniversary and every age that the child would have been. I have a child in heaven from my own choice out of desperation and lack of faith and I have had to continually forgive myself. I wish that I would have been “deceived” by a crisis pregnancy center and maybe my life would have been completely different and my child would have had a life. There is no way around the truth that this is the ultimate selfish act to try to erase not being responsible for our sexual behaviors. Don’t make a baby suffer for our mistakes. I wish that I could undo what I did, but I can’t. Please think outside of the “me” generation box.

• mellankelly1

I had an abortion and was not allowed to see the sonagram of the child growing inside me at a family planning (or lack of planning) center. They knew that if I saw it I would not go through with it. To me that was the ultimare lie. They tried to make it seem that it was not a life and would not let me see the movement and the heartbeat.

I terminated my pregancy in 1993 in Ohio and the family planning clinic that I visited did a sonagram to confirm the length of my pregnancy.  Nobody prevented me from observing the sonogram, not once did any person mention that my fetus was not alive.  I understood that I could either gestate (and provided a healthy pregnancy) give birth to a baby or I could terminate my pregnancy and not give birth to a baby.

By offering alternatives to an abortion they are offering hope.

Tell me… what "hope" is offered to the woman with an unwanted pregnancy who does not wish to gestate and give birth?  Compulsory Maternity?  Forcing motherhood on a woman who does not wish to become a mother is anything but "hopeful".

Girls that are in this vulnerable state don't know that there is a way out that does not involve living a guilt filled life of remembering every anniversary and every age that the child would have been. I have a child in heaven from my own choice out of desperation and lack of faith and I have had to continually forgive myself.

Again… I terminated my pregnancy in 1993 and never once, not one day, not for one second have I experienced one ounce of guilt.  If a woman choses to terminate her pregnancy and that decision caused her to live a "guilt filled life" I would recommend that she speak with an unbiased person regarding her decision.  A great place to start would be http://www.4exhale.org/.  I would hope that any woman suffering from her decision to terminate her pregnancy or suffering from her decision to gestate her pregnancy receives the proper care required in order for her to get well.

There is no way around the truth that this is the ultimate selfish act to try to erase not being responsible for our sexual behaviors.

That is untrue… terminating a pregnancy is every bit as responsible as gestating a pregnancy, the fact that you despise one choice does not make that choice any less responsible than the other.  Your opinion about what constitutes a "selfish act" is irrelevant to any other woman.

I thank God that I was born into a time and a place where obtaining an abortion was a safe and legal option for me.

• http://adlynmorrison.blogspot.com/ invalid-0

Normally I don’t comment seeing how I’m against abortion I just come here so that I can write reaction peices on my blog, but I had to speak out.

I’m so sorry for your lost. I wish I could be there to hold your hand right now. It’s going to be okay, you didn’t know, you believe what those “pro-choicers” told you. The LORD can forgive and you have nothing to worry about. I’ve never had an abortion (Saving myself for marriage) but I had a sister who uses abortion like it’s birth control and it’s so sad. she’s had about six.

Those are six nieces or nephews I’ll never know. Some times I wonder what they would had looked like or what they’re personallity would have been. Unfortuantly, my sister dosen’t care one bit. So I can kinda understand what you are going thought right now. G-D bless you and I hope that you may one day find peace.

• harry834

For taking the time, and detailed effort, to write out your experience, and to juxtapose with the other commentor, to try and elucidate some points.

No one should be forced or decieved to have an abortion. Similarly, no one should be forced or deceived to avoid abortion. The many, many women who want to terminate their pregnancies know what they want: they do not want to be pregnant. Abortion terminates a pregnancy. So in that sense, there is no confusion.

Concerning issues of seeing a sonogram, I think people should be allowed to see one if they ask, but they should not be forced. This clear-cut distinction gets a little grey when we talk about doctors "offering" a sonogram.

So if a doctor offers a sonogram, without being required to do that? That could be a number of different possibilities. There is room for grey here. I'd say that if/when offering, s/he should not pressure. What defines pressure? Room for grey, but probably can make a list of some behaviors that count. Perhaps telling their patient, implicitly or explicitly, that they could be "killing their baby" would be a fairly-clear example of wrongful pressure in the "offering process".

• mellankelly1

Agreed… although I find it really interesting (for lack of a better word) that at the time I terminated, an ultrasound was performed so that the technician could validate the length of my pregnancy for the doctor.  The machine was within viewing distance for me (although, if you'd quizzed me I honestly couldn't have told you where/what it was that I was looking at).  I'm supposing that this was clinic protocol?  It didn't bother me so I never gave it a second thought until these ill-advised laws requiring women seeking abortion to first review an ultrasound became the newest anti-abortion tactic.  My personal opinion is that these laws have been proposed as nothing more than an attempt to further chip away at reproductive rights and as such, have no merit.

Yes, I'd say that is a great example of wrongful pressure, indeed!  Although, regarding the "grey" area of these bills, if memory serves, women would be able to "opt-out" of observing the sonogram provided that they sign a waiver stating that the option was given. 

• invalid-0

I’ll tell you who tells the lies!!! It’s the places that do abortions!!!!! I was 19 and naive and asked before I had an abortion if the baby had a heartbeat and what it looked like. I was told that it did not have a heartbeat and that it was just a blob of tissue the size of my pinky fingernail and looked like a kidney bean. I was 10 weeks pregnant. I had the abortion. Later, when I was pregnant with my daughter, I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks gestation and boy, this baby had a head, arms, legs, and guess what!!! It had a heartbeat!!!! Oh, and it was moving around. It wasn’t a blob of tissue that looked like a kidney bean.

I think all women should be given an ultrasound before they can make the decision of having an abortion. I know I would never have gone through with it, had I known the truth!!!!! I WISH someone spoke to me of religious things before. I wish the abortion clinics would give both sides and accurate information.

This blog sounds like a lot of propoganda . . . what are you in it for? To help women or to line your pockets from money off of the murder of innocent little babies??????

• mellankelly1

I think all women should be given an ultrasound before they can make the decision of having an abortion. I know I would never have gone through with it, had I known the truth!!!!!

I find it completely and utterly shocking that you were not aware of what a pregnancy was nor were you even remotely aware of prenatal development (that information is part of high school and sometimes middle school curriculum).  I know that at age 19 I was well aware of human biology and reproduction (from health and biology courses) including the fact that if a pregnancy was not aborted (via spontaneous or elective) and after 40 weeks of gestation and the labor/birth process, a baby would be born.  Viewing an ultrasound should not be a requirement for women prior to terminating a pregnancy… women decide to terminate pregnancies for many different reasons, these reasons won't change by viewing an ultrasound.  Further, many studies have been done which conclude that following an abortion women will experience a mixture of emotions and that the vast majority of women experience a predominance of positive feelings – and the American Psychological Association agrees.

If a medical clinic staffmember knowingly gave me false information regarding prenatal development prior to terminating my pregnancy I would most certainly report them to the proper authorities.  However, when I terminated my pregnancy I was not lied to by any clinic personnel at any time, on the contrary, they were helpful and forthcoming and extremely emotionally supportive towards me.

I WISH someone spoke to me of religious things before. I wish the abortion clinics would give both sides and accurate information.

If religion was important in a womans life I would hope that she would take that into consideration prior to terminating her pregnancy (if you don't find religion until afterwards, it would appear to be a moot point).  However, not all religions are the same and not all clergy are anti-abortion – why should a medical clinic be required to speak to their patients regarding religion?  And which religion… christianity… judaism… Islam… taoism… paganism… rastafari… hinduism… sikhism?

• invalid-0

in the hands of trained professionals. But the anti-abortion side uses ultrasounds more to mislead and emotionally blackmail women. If a woman seeking an abortions wants to see an ultrasound fine, let her see it. But no state should mandate it because there is no good reason except intimidation.

• invalid-0

Why don’t “abortion clinics” call themselves “aborton clinics” instead of the euphemisms as listed belowe? “Health Center”? Is having an abortion really healthy? “A Choice for women”? Do they really outline the choices or just give abortions? “Feminist Women’s Health Center”? Sounds like a political organization. “Family Planning”? Isn’t abortion the opposite of planning a family? Before you start criticizing other organizations names, make sure you clean up your act first.

Aalto Women’s Center (Houston TX)
    AAnchor Health Center, Ltd. (Glen Ellyn IL)
    Aaron Women’s Clinic & Surgical Center (Houston TX)
    Aaron Women’s Health Center (Dallas TX)
    AASTRA Women’s Center (Ft. Lauderdale FL)
    Access Health Center, Ltd. (Downers Grove IL)
    A Choice for Women (Miami FL)
    A Jacksonville Women’s Health (Jacksonville FL)
    A to Z Women’s Center (Las Vegas NV)
    ACU Health Center, Ltd. (Hinsdale IL)
    Advantage Health Center, Ltd. (Wood Dale IL)
    Affiliated Medical Services (Milwaukee WI)
    All Suffolk OB/GYN (Bay Shore NY)
    All Women’s Care (Long Island NY)
    All Women’s Clinic (Ft. Lauderdale FL)
    All Women’s Health (Tacoma WA)
    American Women’s Medical Center (Chicago & Des Plaines IL)
    America’s Women Clinic (Houston TX)
    Amethyst Health Center for Women (Manassas VA)
    AMS of Pensacola (Pensacola FL)
    Annandale Women and Family Center (Alexandria VA)
    Aradia Women’s Health Center (Seattle WA)
    Atlanta Surgi-Center (Atlanta GA)
    Austin Women’s Health Center (Austin TX)
    Beacon Women’s Center (Montgomery AL)
    Drs. Berger and Benjamin (Philadelphia PA)
    BirthControl.com
    Birth Control Care Center (Las Vegas NV)
    Bossier City Medical Suite (Bossier City LA)
    Boulder Abortion Clinic (Boulder CO)
    Curtis Boyd MD (Albuquerque NM)
    Brandeis Medical Center (Beverly Hills CA)
    BSS International (Ft. Lauderdale FL)
    Buena Vista Women’s Consultation Center (San Francisco CA)
    Buffalo GYN Womenservices (Buffalo NY)
    Camelback Family Planning (Phoenix AZ)
    Carolina Center for Women (Charlotte NC)
    Capital Women’s Health Clinic (Richmond VA)
    Causeway Medical Clinic (Metairie LA)
    Center for Women’s Health (Cleveland OH)
    Center for Women’s Health (Overland Park KS)
    Central Ohio Women’s Center / Planned Parenthood (Columbus OH)
    Choice Medical Group (Concord CA)
    Choice Medical Group (Fremont CA)
    Choice Medical Group (Sacramento CA)
    Choice Medical Group (Salinas CA)
    Choice Medical Group (San Francisco CA)
    Choice Medical Group (San Jose CA)
    Cincinnati Women’s Services (Cincinnati OH)
    Columbus Women’s Health Organization (Columbus GA)
    Comprehensive Women’s Health Center (Denver CO)
    Concord Feminist Health Center (Concord NH)
    Crescent City Women’s Center (Houston TX)
    Crist Clinic for Women (Jacksonville NC)
    Dekalb Gynecology Associates (Decatur GA)
    Delaware Women’s Health Organization (Wilmington DE)
    Dimensions Medical Center, Ltd. (Des Plaines IL)
    Downtown Women’s Center (Portland OR)
    Dunwoody OB-GYN (Atlanta GA)
    Eastside Gynecology (New York NY)
    EMW Women’s Surgical Center (Lexington KY)
    Englewood Women’s Center (Tenafly/Englewood NJ)
    EPOC Clinic (Orlando FL)
    Eve Clinic (Miami FL & Kendall FL)
    Fairmount Center (Dallas TX)
    Falls Church Healthcare Center (Falls Church VA)
    Family Planning Associates Medical Group (20 clinics in Southern CA & 2 clinics in Chicago IL)
    Family Planning Associates Medical Group (Phoenix AZ)
    Family Planning Associates Medical Group (Tempe AZ)
    Family Planning Centre (Melbourne, Australia)
    Family Planning Specialists Medical Group (Oakland CA)
    Family Reproductive Health (Charlotte NC)
    Fayetteville Women’s Clinic (Fayetteville AR)
    Femcare (Asheville NC)
    Feminist Women’s Health Center (Atlanta GA)

• invalid-0

Do your research before you start posting what you think is not a legitimate docotors office. Crist Clinic for Women (Jacksonville NC) Is a legitimate OB/GYN office I would know, I am a pacient there for my pregnancy. I do know they offer abortion services cause it is on their website. It is named after the head OB there Dr. Crist. So before you go naming please do some research.

• mellankelly1

Isn't abortion the opposite of planning a family?

These names aren't euphemisms, they clearly explain what these medical clinics offer women: a way to plan their family.  Women (rightly so) get to decide if they have children, when they have children, and how many children they will have.  These medical clinics offer a range of family planning options – including methods to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and if a woman is already faced with an unwanted pregnancy, they offer safe and legal abortion.

• invalid-0

“I thank God that I was born into a time and a place where obtaining an abortion was a safe and legal option for me.”

I thank God that I was born… period.

The doctor doing prenatal testing on me and my mom recommended that I be aborted. This isn’t just about the mother. A lot of people posting here probably think I should never have been born. I guess the right to ‘choose’ trumps my right to live. Thanks a lot…

• mellankelly1

A lot of people posting here probably think I should never have been born.

If you believe that, I feel just awful for you.  But I honestly do not believe that any person would claim that you never should have been born, particularly considering that nobody here actually knows you, Anonymous.

I thank God that I was born… period

Fantastic, so do I!  That, however, does not alter my comment that "I thank God that I was born into a time and a place where obtaining an abortion was a safe and legal option for me"… not one little bit.

• mellankelly1

You people are amazing! You talk about deception! You call disgusting the people who just want women to know the truth about abortion

These CPC's are not telling the truth, by any means.  Lying to women about breast cancer, infertility, and mental disease is disgusting and frankly, I am shocked that anyone would find that practice acceptable under any circumstance.

Is it only in the confines of the womb that such things are acceptable, appealing, and pleasant (aren't those adjectives the opposites of disgusting?)?

The statement made was that lying to women is disgusting… ergo, telling the truth to women would be acceptable, appealing and pleasant.

Why should any of us care when people are murdered as adults, or better yet as children? This country should change the laws and make ALL murder legal, since this country definitely is never going to make ALL murder illegal! Why have a double standard?

You need to calm down if you expect anyone to take your posting seriously… the above is not a rational argument on any level.  By the way, there are many people of faith who actively support a womans right to choose and God is just fine with that.

• invalid-0

Well, after reading all these comments I am still waiting for the proof of 4000 CPC’s lying and giving deceptive information! I can only speak to the four centers that I have worked at either on staff or as a volunteer, over the last 20 years. Let me begin by say that any legitimate organization doesn’t have to lie about what abortion is and the possible physical,emotional and spiritual risks. The truth in its self is enough to help a person sort through what they are willing to live with whether that be abortion, parenting or adoption. Are there people who deceive yes and they do no good in my mind. I had an abortion and as a post abortive women, I got involved because I needed help. In time I became a counselor for women who were sufferring over the decision of abortion. Over the years I have listened to the testimony of women who regreted their choice you wouldn’t even believe me if I told you the very disturbing things that got these women to the point of submitting themselves to an abortion procedure. If you believe that everyone single women comes to this choice alone, on her own then you believe a lie! I know with my own experience as a teenager I suffered physical complications that were life threatening (I nearly bleed to death because they had left part of the placenta and fetus inside). The legal and safe procedure I had is the same one performed before 1973 and is still used today. Clearly not an experience that every women has and I would never make that claim. I related to planning Russian Rolette someone get a bullet and some don’t. Abortion does hurt women but not to the same degree. For some what you view as your right and good for yourselves today in 2, 10, 30, or 50 years down the line you will no longer subcribe to that view. My view changed, I don’t discount that some women will proclaim that it was right and good for them to the grave but that’s not every woman. So how about focusing on the women who have suffered emotional, physical and spirtual side effects? Why is there such a fight to acknowledge those of us who are post abortive? Why call me anti-choice? Should I call you pro-death? Why are these non-profit pro-life organization so threatening? Planned Parenthood in 2005 – 2006 reported a profit of 55.8 million dollars, this doesn’t include private facilities doing abortion, its clear that the 2000 clinics someone qouted doesn’t include private medical facilities. I would love everyone to speak honestly about the subject. I have done research on the issue of side effects going beyond the untied states and what disturbs me is that even with a conservative view point women are sufferring. As for Planned Parenthood, NARAL and NAF I looked into them and I have made up my mind. I challenge you all to examine what you believe set out to prove yourself wrong test the foundation and source of what you believe and take the time to visit not one but several CPC’s and ask them questions, let them know where you stand and that you want to gather information. What’s the harm in that? If you don’t want to met them face to face check out their website, research the their material. I would like to think that the remaining 3,996 centers were like the ones I been with and you may gain a new found respect for their views. For anyone out there that proclaims life through Christ and lies or deceives brings shame to the ministry and dishonors God.

Anna

• mellankelly1

So how about focusing on the women who have suffered emotional, physical and spirtual side effects? Why is there such a fight to acknowledge those of us who are post abortive? Why call me anti-choice? Should I call you pro-death?

There are places that women can find support for the emotional, physical and spiritual "side effects" of giving birth (http://postpartum.net/), giving up their child (http://www.adoptionstar.com/agency_support.php) and terminating a pregnancy (http://www.4exhale.org/values.php).  Also, "Anti-choice" is a valid term being that those who support forced motherhood wish to deny a woman her choice to decide the course of her pregnancy. "Pro-death" would be a better description of those who support the death penalty.  Within the context of abortion, I am Pro-choice as I believe that each and every individual is able to decide for themself when, if and under what circumstances they wish to give birth. 

Over the years I have listened to the testimony of women who regreted their choice you wouldn’t even believe me if I told you the very disturbing things that got these women to the point of submitting themselves to an abortion procedure. If you believe that everyone single women comes to this choice alone, on her own then you believe a lie!

I have spoken with women who have regretted their choice to: gestate and give their child up for adoption, gestate and raise their child, and terminate their pregnancy.  Every single one of them (each in their own individual way) felt like the choice wasn’t theirs… therein lies the problem.  Let me ask you… are you okay if a woman wished to terminate her pregnancy, visisted a CPC (was given inaccurate info, outright lies and religious reasoning) carried to term and then regretted that choice because she felt that it wasn’t really hers? 

Why are these non-profit pro-life organization so threatening?

Lying to women about cancer, sterility and serious psychological problems is disgusting and most certainly threatens women’s health.  Further, according to the investigative report, False and Misleading Health Information Provided by Federally Funded Pregnancy Resource Centers (furnished by the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform), CPCs have received more than $30 million in federal funding since 2001.

I challenge you all to examine what you believe set out to prove yourself wrong test the foundation and source of what you believe and take the time to visit not one but several CPC’s and ask them questions, let them know where you stand and that you want to gather information. What’s the harm in that? If you don’t want to met them face to face check out their website, research the their material

It is not necessary for me to listen to these people pontificate on the evils of abortion.  What is necessary is that women receive accurate medical information and that these clinics are straightforward with the women who call or stop by that they are strictly and 100% anti-abortion.

• invalid-0

I wonder how many of those women that regretted their choice to have their child maintained that view as their child grew. You make it sound that they regret the child. It could be there circumstance and not a permenant state of mind. Where as my choice I don’t get a do over or come to terms with my feelings and get to make up for lost time because my child is gone. I am motivated to seek the truth and give it everyone I see. I expect nothing less from someone who is pro-abortion or pro-life. I believe that anyone whether they work for a CPC or Planned Parenthood should be honest in giving accurate information. I can give you numerouse webistes of statistics of the side effects abortion, statistics of Coerced Abortion it won’t make a difference to you (by the way I have read those reports and I’m sure you have a resource of your own as well) I don’t know you or what your expereince has been I wouldn’t try to minimize your experience so back off of mine.

Based on your claim that CPCs lie about cancer? Have you not read the 37 different studies that link breast cancer to abortion since the 1950 or do you hold fast to the National Cancer Institute that says no now but said yes before. You claim that it doesn’t cause sterilization well I have an abortion doctor on tape telling that it is a side effect. Ever heard of Dr. Bernard Nathenson? He performed 70,000 abortions and he doesn’t share your view. As for emotional issues as a counselor I see it almost daily so many of those women are now on mood altering drugs being told they have general depression.

I have women that work with me that since their abortion they have never been able to concieve. There are many women that have had multiple abortions and have been able to continue to have children. So please stop denying that we exist it hurts everyone, I would consider telling women that there are no side effects deceiving.

You weren’t clear about what CPC or CPCs were receiving federal money it could be for the abstinence programs through faith base initiatives not sure can’t assume you qouted 30 million in 2001 well Planned Parenthod received taxpayer money in 2005-2006 at a tune of 305.3 million private donations 212.2 million their income was 902.8 million and a profit of 55.8 miliion (this is what they reported)and I don’t really know where you stand on an organization that accepts money to directly fund abortion to minority women or an organzation that tells minors how to keep from reporting the age of their partner so it won’t be reported to the police based on the statuory rape laws. (check: You Tube Planned Parenthood) I could go on but why bother. You don’t want to consider that someone would lie to a women about her pregnacy so they could perform an abortion and make money. I’m sure as far as your concerned women haven’t died from abortion either… right!

Our center deoesn’t charge for pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, materintiy clothes, baby clothes, formula, diapers, baby food, job training assistnace, parenting classes, bible studies, abstinence conferences, Post abortion support groups for women and men. We receive no government money at all none of the centers I work with and have worked for have or do or ever plan to. We are soley funded by private donations. We do share the gospel with our clients if they want to hear about.

We are for choice we don’t support abortion because it harms women and takes the life of another human being. Not everyone choices life I don’t treat them any differently than someone who does. How could I choices death for my own child, not a choice I would ever make again. I’m just greatful that I have found healing for myself through Jesus Christ and that is the hope I have for every single person who is in pain over abortion.

• invalid-0

• mellankelly1

I wonder how many of those women that regretted their choice to have their child maintained that view as their child grew. You make it sound that they regret the child. It could be there circumstance and not a permenant state of mind

Well, lets see… there is the 45 year old mother who had felt such enormous guilt since giving birth (she vehemently regretted her choice mostly every day of her life) that she feels she was the cause of her daughters poor life choices and subsequent time in jail.  This woman along with many other woman that I, myself, have spoken with do regret the child…. they regret their choice.  It’s so sad, but it’s true.  Of course it is circumstance and of course it is a permanent state of mind.  Why on earth would you feel like you have a better assessment of these women and their feelings about their life choices than they do?  Here’s the thing (and this is the consensus among these women) regardless of what the subject matter is, there will always be people who regret a choice that they’ve made that has effected the rest of their lives… these women do not wish to deny the rights of another person to make the same choice; they want others faced with the same choices to make the best decisions for themselves and not let what some other person who’s life will not be directly effected by this choice influence them.

I can give you numerouse webistes of statistics of the side effects abortion, statistics of Coerced Abortion it won’t make a difference to you (by the way I have read those reports and I’m sure you have a resource of your own as well)

We’ve done this dance numerous times… the most accurate and most factual information comes from unbiased, medical and/or government sites. 

I don’t know you or what your expereince has been I wouldn’t try to minimize your experience so back off of mine.

I wasn’t minimizing your experience, I was putting it into perspective.  Something you could greatly benefit from doing yourself.  My experience with terminating my pregnancy was and continues to be positive.  Do I believe that every woman’s experience with abortion is positive?  Certainly not… every woman is different, every woman’s circumstance and experience is different.

Have you not read the 37 different studies that link breast cancer to abortion since the 1950 or do you hold fast to the National Cancer Institute that says no now but said yes before

Alright, I’m willing to do this all over again.  I’m really never amazed at the lack of research that is done by those who are so staunchly anti-abortion… wonders never cease and all that.

"Commonly cited website quality criteria are not effective at identifying inaccurate online information about breast cancer" examines websites with breast cancer information that turn up among the top results in various search engines and examines them according to a set of quality criteria.  Government (.gov) sites were the only ones to receive a 100 percent accuracy rating.  Therefor, in order to obtain the most accurate and unbiased information, I will site the information found on .gov sites.  You can visit http://www.cancer.gov to find this information:
    1. National Cancer Institute. Summary Report: Early Reproductive Events and Breast Cancer Workshop. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/ere-workshop-report. Accessed May 8, 2007.
    2. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_Can_Having_an_Abortion_Cause_or_Contribute_to_Breast_Cancer.asp

These are the Findings:  

• In February 2003, the US National Cancer Institute (NCI) held a workshop of more than 100 of the world’s leading experts who study pregnancy and breast cancer risk. The experts reviewed existing human and animal studies on the relationship between pregnancy and breast cancer risk, including studies of induced and spontaneous abortions. Among their conclusions were:
    1. Breast cancer risk is temporarily increased after a term pregnancy (that is, a pregnancy that results in the birth of a living child). 
    2. Induced abortion is not associated with an increase in breast cancer risk. 
    3. Recognized spontaneous abortion is not associated with an increase in breast cancer risk.

The level of scientific evidence for these conclusions was considered to be "well established" (the highest level).

• The largest, and probably the most reliable, single study of this topic was conducted during the 1990s in Denmark, a country with very detailed medical records on all its citizens. In that study, all Danish women born between 1935 and 1978 (1.5 million women) were linked with the National Registry of Induced Abortions and with the Danish Cancer Registry. So all information about their abortions and their breast cancer came from registries, was very complete, and was not influenced by recall bias.

After adjusting for known breast cancer risk factors, the researchers found that induced abortion(s) had no overall effect on the risk of breast cancer. The size of this study and the manner in which it was done provides substantial evidence that induced abortion does not affect a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer.

• Another large, prospective study was reported on by Harvard researchers in 2007. This study included more than 100,000 women who were between the ages of 29 and 46 at the start of the study in 1993. These women were followed until 2003. Again, because they were asked about their reproductive history at the start of the study, recall bias was unlikely to be a problem. After adjusting for known breast cancer risk factors, the researchers found no link between either spontaneous or induced abortions and breast cancer.
    • The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Gynecologic Practice reviewed the available evidence as well and published its findings in August 2003. The committee concluded that "early studies of the relationship between prior induced abortion and breast cancer risk have been inconsistent and are difficult to interpret because of methodological considerations. More rigorous recent studies argue against a causal relationship between induced abortion and a subsequent increase in breast cancer risk."
    • The Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer, based out of Oxford University in England, recently put together the results from 53 separate studies conducted in 16 different countries. These studies included about 83,000 women with breast cancer. After combining and reviewing the results from these studies, the researchers concluded that "the totality of worldwide epidemiological evidence indicates that pregnancies ending as either spontaneous or induced abortions do not have adverse effects on women’s subsequent risk of developing breast cancer."

************************************

I know that is a lot to read but it is all relevant to your erroneous claim that there is a casual link between breast cancer and abortion (whether spontaneous or elective).  It isn’t surprising that you would simply ignore the study done by the National Institute of Cancer (involving more than 100 of the world’s leading experts whose sole purpose was to study pregnancy and breast cancer risk) and the fact that the level of scientific evidence for these conclusions was considered to be "well established", which is something (I suspect) none of the 37 studies you’ve mentioned had.  Please, prove me wrong.

• mellankelly1

You claim that it doesn’t cause sterilization well I have an abortion doctor on tape telling that it is a side effect

Prove it.  Your opinion and your tapes do not make your statement a fact.  Tell me, when your CPC tells women how abortion can make them sterile… what do they offer these women as proof?  The amount of harm that these CPC’s could do to a woman by using misinformation is unimaginable and nothing less than shameful. 

So please stop denying that we exist it hurts everyone, I would consider telling women that there are no side effects deceiving.

What are you talking about?  Where have I denied that you exist?  Where have I denied that some women regret their choices?  As a matter of fact, I’ve clearly made statements to the contrary.  I’ve also included statements that there are women who regret giving birth and giving up their child and there are women who regret giving birth and raising their children… there are also those women who have given birth and then murdered their children.  Would it be okay to tell women that they shouldn’t continue a pregnancy because there have been women who regret doing so?  Of course not.  Why then, would it be okay to tell women that they shouldn’t terminate their pregnancies because there have been women who regret doing so?  Do you refuse to acknowledge that there is even the slightest irony in what you’re saying?

• mellankelly1

You weren’t clear about what CPC or CPCs were receiving federal money it could be for the abstinence programs through faith base initiatives not sure can’t assume you qouted 30 million in 2001 well Planned Parenthod received taxpayer money in 2005-2006

First… I never even insinuated that Planned Parenthood did not receive federal money so I’m not really sure what your point was there.  You can find the information regarding the CPC’s here: http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=1080

I’m sure as far as your concerned women haven’t died from abortion either… right

Not as sure as I am that as far as you’re concerned, women don’t die from pregnancy and/or childbirth.  You do know that each year more women die of complications from childbirth than from complications from abortion, right?

I’m just greatful that I have found healing for myself through Jesus Christ and that is the hope I have for every single person who is in pain over abortion.

And I think it would be in everyone’s best interest if women who suffer from their choices find healing through unbiased and supportive sources (such as exhale.)  You do know that not every woman who terminates her pregnancy worships JC, right?

• mellankelly1

I wonder how many of those women…

I wonder why you posted this lengthy piece twice? 

• invalid-0

The real problem with our current laws is that abortions are not legal after birth. Honestly, how much better would it be if the parent could choose to have a kid aborted until 18? That would keep kids well behaved.

Also, sometimes moms might not know they don’t want the kid until after the first year or two.

• invalid-0

I mean, by the time they’re eighteen they’ll probably be fully people and able to vote and all that, but before that they probably wont be completely people. Yes, they’ll be independent of their mother, but, at least as babies, they can’t even express the choice not to die.

• mellankelly1

The real problem with our current laws is that abortions are not legal after birth

No, the "real problem" is a person who doesn’t know how to open a dictionary.

Also, sometimes moms might not know they don’t want the kid until after the first year or two

Unfortunately, this happens too often… the good news is that most women will seek counseling when these feelings occur.  Research has shown that these feelings tend to happen shortly after giving birth and can be a result of a preexisting medical condition or a result of giving birth (postpartum depression).  Interesting fact (not that you appear to be too keen on the whole fact thing) – postpartum was recognized as early as 700 BC wherein Hippocrates described in great detail the emotional problems of women associated with childbearing. 

I will note that it is more than a little unsettling that you can so easily play sarcastic about very real issues that many new mothers face.

• invalid-0

They are not aware of their surroundings, they don’t think, they don’t have an opinion on abortion; so they can’t make any kind of choice. This is one of the oldest and moldiest canards of the anti-abortion movement – “Let the Baby Choose!” – when in truth, it’s the anti-abortion movement which wants to choose for women.

• invalid-0

but the new born babies can’t make choices either, right??? And of course they don’t have an opinion on abortion… So I guess they;re not really people either…. hmm.

• janine

Newborns sometimes do still need the use of resources from anothers body to live too.

• invalid-0

Oh dear, so newborns aren’t people either! Or people in comas, for that matter. The number of recognized people in the US suddenly decreased. :-(

• janine

Or anyone that needs another’s body yet is denied this
    specific choice when needed to decide whether they live or die – not real ‘people’ either.

• invalid-0

Oh, and that cancels out siamese twins, too.

• janine

Yep just like any baby that is born and needs anothers body yet is denied
    this
    specific choice when needed to decide whether they live or die, siamese twins and separated twins would also not be. Triplets too, if one of them needs the resources in anothers body.

And speaking of twinning any variations like fetus in fetu, all
    parasitic twins, all taratomas – all not ‘people’ either.

• invalid-0

I wonder then, why it isn’t legal to ‘terminate’ their lives, too? Odd.

• janine

Fetus in fetu? Taratomas? Parasitic twins? Didn’t know there was a law against separating them resulting in its death. Siamese twins have been separated shortly after birth resulting in the predicted death of a twin.

Just as odd that life is not protected over the womans body after birth – an innocent baby who had no choice in being born. Odd that a woman can be charged with infanticide for failure to maintain the life of that newborn by failing to feed or shelter it, but no expectation to still maintain its life at the expense of her bodily integrity. Odd that if someone tries to use her body to live she is allowed to take an action against them, even if that persons life terminates as a result of not having the needed resources she kept from them.

• invalid-0

Fetus in fetu? Taratomas? Parasitic twins? Didn’t know there was a law against separating them resulting in its . Siamese twins have been separated shortly after birth resulting in the predicted of a twin.

Nope, I meant the people already born.

Just as odd that life is not protected over the womans body after birth – an baby who had no choice in being born. Odd that a woman can be charged with infanticide for failure to maintain the life of that newborn by failing to feed or shelter it, but no expectation to still maintain its life at the expense of her bodily integrity.

What are you saying here?

Odd that if someone tries to use her body to live she is allowed to take an action against them, even if that persons life terminates as a result of not having the needed resources she kept from them.

Yes, that is very odd, especially since the consequences of abortion result in the deth of the baby, whereas the consequences of bringing the baby to term may be very awful for some women, but it is not as worse as deth.

• invalid-0

as persons by the U.S. Constitution and they have certain rights. Even if they can’t make their opinion known in a language adults can understand. Very distinct from fetuses.

• invalid-0

Oooh, I see. Because the Constitution says so, they have rights.
    Are you actually saying that newborns can voice their opinions against abortion, just in a language adolts can’t understand? I probably understood you wrong.

• invalid-0

The Constitution says all American citizens who are (pay attention,notice it doesn’t say conceived. There will be a quiz later.) have certain inalienable rights the government cannont infringe upon.
    Now for the silly part. Newborns have no opinion on “hot button” issues like abortion, so you are being a bit childish for suggesting newborns are against abortion. Give it up, you couldn’t snark if your life depended on it. But it’s fun to watch when anti-abortion activists try to be sarcastic.

• janine

Nope, I meant the people already born.

And these cases are born. Fetus in fetu is a funky category, but all the others includes cases of the separation of a born twin from a born twin.  And?

What are you saying here?

The right to life is not protected over the bodily integrity of another. Somehow we make this distinction immediately after birth even though it doesn’t have to be there either.

Yes, that is very odd, especially since the consequences of abortion
    result in the deth of the baby, whereas the consequences of bringing
    the baby to term may be very awful for some women, but it is not as
    worse as deth.

Many times ‘bringing the baby to term’ results in death as the consequences of bringing a pregnancy to term are not always a viable newborn. So back to the newborn in this case, which I happened to arleady give – when it still needs anothers body immediately following birth, it gets the ‘worse’ option called death so that the woman doesn’t get ‘awful’ consequences of having the resources out of her body used.

• invalid-0

Nope, I was asking you if you meant that, because it sure seemed like you did.
    So what, in your opinion, make newborns people?
    And of course, the constitution could’ve meant the unborn too, which brings up the questions whether unborns are persons or not. If they are, the constitution would pertain to them too.

• janine

And of course, the constitution could’ve meant the unborn too, which
    brings up the questions whether unborns are persons or not. If they are, the
    constitution would pertain to them too.

Really? Perhaps the unconceived unborn too?

And just pretending it doesn’t necessarily get you where you want to go with
    ‘person’ conferring rights over the woman. The right to life in the Constitution has never extended as far as the right to anothers body. Also, anti-abortion laws didn’t exist, nor were enacted, at the time the Constitution was written. The laws that forbade contraception together with abortion were first enacted in the mid 1800s. In addition, they were at the individual state level, not federal. A few were eventually overtuned at the state level and the remainder of state laws were challenged and overturned at the Constitutional level with Roe v Wade.

• invalid-0

‘person’ conferring rights over the woman. The right to life in the Constitution has never extended as far as the right to anothers body.
    * * * * *
    When a woman has an abortion, is the body being taken out of her hers? Is it her body? I think not. The body that is being taken out is a separate individual- so why does the mother have rights over it?
    Certainly she has the right to control the use of her arm by choosing to swing her arm. However, that right stops when her arm approaches the tip of my nose.
    She may even have the right to scream at the top of her lungs that she s the movie Titanic, but she doesn’t have the right to scream “fire” in the crowded theater. Reason and historic experience teaches us that unless we protect the rights of others, our own rights soon diminish as well.

• janine

I’ve already answered all of this. You keep wanting to ignore that the fetus is violating the womans body in the first place. The right to life does not give one the right to use anothers body. Period. It doesn’t for a newborn or other, even if the woman needs to take an action against that other person body to stop them from using her body to maintain their life. The fetus rights end at a womans uterus.

Reason and historic experience teaches us that unless we protect the rights of others, our own rights soon diminish as well.

The newborns right to life isn’t protected over the womans bodily integrity either. None of us are. I am fine with my ‘right’ to violate another’s body to maintain my life
    being ‘diminished’ as a consequence of me not protecting the right of the fetus to do so. This ‘right’ already doesn’t exist.

• invalid-0

because you sure love to run around in circles. The Constitution does NOT pertain to fetuses, embryoes, zygotes, blastocysts nor newly fertilized ovum. No amount of anti-abortion “arguments” will ever make it so. Time to suck it up.

• invalid-0

Yep, I’m so dizzy my head is spinning!
    I didn’t say the Constitution pertained to unborn children. I said, if unborn children really were people, that would mean they would have to be included in it.

• invalid-0

The Constitution says “persons” who are “born or naturalized”. For the last time, fetuses are not persons, therefore they are not included in Constitutional protection.

• mellankelly1

Wow.  Really?  So, in addition to not understanding what an abortion is there is also some confusion as to what a viable fetus is?  I certainly understand how you’d get confused on the whole issue of "personhood" considering that leading scientists, legal experts and theologians cannot even agree on a definition.  However, I must point out that having an opinion on abortion doesn’t appear to be a prerequisite for personhood.

• mellankelly1

… whereas the consequences of bringing the baby to term may be very awful for some women, but it is not as worse as deth.

Says you.  Why on earth do you feel more qualified than the woman facing an unwanted pregnancy to explain how they feel.  What you think a woman should feel about a pregnancy is completely irrelevant.